Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The biggest discount ever

While driving to work every morning I used to enjoy the witty, sometimes silly radio spots that entertained me. Now all I hear is biggest discount ever, sale, cheaper prizes etc. Unsatisfying - I switch the channel. In the evening, while watching TV, I used to enjoy advertisements even more than the program itself. It engaged me with its entertaining content and made me think. About the product, company behind it, brief and the creative process. Now I see short flash animated numbers showing me how cheap everything is. Where is the creativity? Now is the time to do something different, although I understand the lack of budget…but still I want to be entertained and engaged - not sold the prize to. I do not connect to the numbers, I connect to emotions. Please somebody surprise me (easier said than done).

2 comments:

  1. Few local companies here more and more try to sell emotional values than just price. See EMT for example, who lately haven't promoted any discounts or talked about prices in commercials. Elisa tried to sell "Most beautiful coverage" etc. It's pretty much question of customer segment they are trying to impress with mass communucation, but for sure, marketers should stress more on emotional values that just prices and up to 70% discounts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it’s not all black and white and the advertising giants, so to say, have made themselves longer plans than just surviving the slower times. My dream is that smaller advertisers would also think in the longer perspective and would not undermine their brand with discounts. It will be very difficult and expensive to get rid of that imago later. If ever.

    ReplyDelete